This thread has had very little to do with django-secure for some time...

On Sunday 31 August 2014 18:07:04 Carl Meyer wrote:

> In the case of the email settings, I think introducing a deprecation
> that requires people to update their settings files, for zero gain in
> capability, is a much bigger negative than any of the ones mentioned
> above, and should in itself be enough to scuttle the proposal. As I said
> on the ticket, if a significant new capability were introduced that
> required a change to the settings structure (e.g. multiple email
> backends configured at once, which is why CACHES and DATABASES are now
> dictionaries), that might provide enough benefit to justify a deprecation.

A case in point is a change that was introduced in 1.7 -- putting the TEST
settings of databases into an inner dict. When it was brought up, all
with the deprecation -- with the initial implementation, it was not to make a
settings file with test-settings which would work without warnings on both 1.6
and 1.7. This has been since corrected (by allowing new and old to co-exist
when they are equivalent).

There was no gain in functionality, just the logical grouping -- and that,
itself, is somewhat limited (because the settings at issue were already in a
dictionary). There were some simplifications in backend code (esp. the Oracle
backend, which uses more of these settings than other backends).

On the other hand, test settings are less popular for defaults in multiple-
level user settings, so some considerations may be different.

As I said, everybody who commented on it back then liked it. I still like it
in that  context (though, as I mostly work on the Oracle backend, I'm biased).
If we now decide that we globally don't like the concept, perhaps it is not
too late to revert it. Or perhaps the decision shouldn't be so global.

Shai.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/8758405.nkUuiM0b9n%40deblack.