Hello,

My apologies for sounding rude, and for raising these issues so late.

Yes, upgrading a project itself is a matter of a pair of evenings, the
problem is with third-party libraries, and more again, plugins of
third-party libraries (especially CMS-related).
I've had to bundle a dozen of these with my app, because they didn't quite
follow the pace of Django evolutions. Now of course, as you say, I might as
well stabilize for some time on a LTS version, but as was said too, the
next steps would also be much harder then. Or I could forget about modular
apps, and go towards monolitic third-party apps instead...

I felt that crucial variables like "request.REQUEST" or "raw_post_data"
could stay aliased for much more than 2 minor versions (but undocumented
and with warnings, of course), for teh sake of retrocompatibility.
However if it's acknowledged, in the core team, that code maintainability
and security would be hindered by keeping these artefacts, I can't argue
that.

Concerning the "rules of open source", I've yet to find a satisfying way to
apply them regarding these "micro breaks". Imagine that project
"myvideoplugin" is unmaintained (not handling PR) : unable to patch the
original Repo, I'd have to fork it ; and unable to push results to the
original pypi name, I'd have to create a separate myvideoplugin-pkl package
on Pypi... that's quite some hassle for (often) a 10-lines patch.

Thanks Curtis for the proposal, I was thinking about a django-retrocompat
package indeed, however I realize that doing a decent job of
retrocompatibility would be a much harder job than initially expected,
since breaking changes are rarely a matter of simple aliases
(https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/1.7/releases/1.7/#backwards-incompatible-changes-in-1-7)

; django-retrocompat wouldn't stand the expectations of users. But a
minimal package dealing only with "renamed fields" would be doable, I'll
have a look at it.

regards,
Pkl

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/3317f347-d82b-4edd-90fd-16da41f5dc49%40googlegroups.com.