First this is really a question for the django-users group. This is more
for actually developing Django. I think the root of your issue is actually
the app loading feature and not migrations. Your models should be lazy

Secondly, the diff approach is difficult to get right, especially when you
consider data migration as well as schema migration. You can have a tested
path from a to d via b and c. It's tough to know how to get from a to d
without b and c.  And the permutations grow exponentially. The Python
Community and especially the Django people are heavily into testing being
an important (read required) part of development and change integration
testing.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/CACiOJ6s4APj4fWcugVA3Bn2_Z1NvtE64dWg65Xoch5vb8xSQ8w%40mail.gmail.com.