My preference for this would be option 3., on the grounds that:

* I'd rule out 1 because of the slight backwards incompatibility (which
can affect people - I remember a deploy script failing because of a
changed exit code for a Mercurial command). In particular, currently
there are other conditions when you get a non-zero exit code - for the
case of some crash due to incorrect setup or other runtime error. This
is a distinct case from  "this command errored because there were no
migrations to make".

* I'd rule out 2 because it really makes --dry-run behave differently
from normal, which breaks expectations

Basically, having a flag like "--exit" is nice and explicit.

Luke

On 29/10/14 01:22, Tim Heap wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have created a ticket for this
> (https://code.djangoproject.com/ticket/23728) but I would like some
> input before I work on it. I will copy the content of the ticket below
> for ease of reading:
>
> It would be very useful for continuous deployment, testing, commit
> hooks, and other applications if django-admin makemigrations signaled
> via an exit code if any migrations were found. Commits in projects could
> be rejected if migrations were outstanding, continuous deployment
> systems could fail the build on outstanding migrations, and potentially
> other uses. No more would hasty commits break things when developers
> forgot to make migrations!
>
> Changes to the code to make this happen are easy enough, but I am unsure
> how the command should behave. The grep unix utility is a example to
> copy. Under normal operation, grep always exits 0 unless an error
> happens, regardless of whether it found any matches. Invoking grep with
> the -q/--quiet flag causes grep to be silent, not printing anything, as
> well as exiting 0 if matches are found and 1 if nothing is found.
>
> I am proposing django-admin makemigrations should exit with 1 (or
> anything non-zero) if no migrations to make were found, or exit 0 if
> migrations to make were found. As the command is instructed to make
> migrations, not making any is the error case.
>
> I am unsure how this new functionality should be selected by the user
> when invoking makemigrations. The options I see are:
>
>  1. Enable this always. This is very simple to implement and easy to
>     understand. Good unixy tools use error codes extensively to signal
>     errors. This may be surprising behaviour when compared to grep
>     though, and breaks backwards compatibility in a minor way.
>  2. Enable this when the --dry-run flag is enabled. Now this flag can be
>     used to check for migrations that need to be created both visually
>     via the printed text, and composed in shell commands.
>  3. Add a new flag -e/--exit (or similar). The sole purpose of this flag
>     would be to exit with 1 when no migrations were found. This could be
>     combined with --dry-run to just check for migrations that need to be
>     made.
>  4. Add a new flag -q/--quiet that copies the behaviour of greps
>     -q/--quiet flag: silences output and exits with 1 when no migrations
>     were found. This duplicates functionality though, as logging can be
>     silenced using -v0 already.
>
> My personal preference is for option 2. I was surprised when enabling
> --dry-run did not signal its result via the exit code. 3 would be the
> cleanest and most composable option, as 4 could be emulated using -ev0.
>
> I will implement this change using 2, unless other people have opinions
> on the matter.
>
> Regards,
> Tim

> [...]

"I was sad because I had no shoes, until I met a man who had no
feet. So I said, "Got any shoes you're not using?"  (Steven Wright)

Luke Plant || http://lukeplant.me.uk/

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/5453873E.8080502%40cantab.net.