I wanted to solicit feedback on the two approaches to supporting unicode in
SlugField:

1. Added a unicode argument to models.SlugField and forms.SlugField.
https://github.com/django/django/pull/1979

2. Added models.UnicodeSlugField and forms.UnicodeSlugField.
https://github.com/django/django/pull/1987

The patch author says, "On one hand, I like the new field approach because
it gives us an easier upgrade path. On the other hand, it feels like I'm
polluting django.db.models and django.forms with slightly different
versions of something that's already there."

Approach 1 does seem cleaner to me, but I'd be interested in hearing from
those interested in this feature.

Ticket: https://code.djangoproject.com/ticket/16501

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/33e9747f-6ced-4710-9e59-ca128e065c5c%40googlegroups.com.