Hallöchen!

Brian Faherty writes:

> [...]
>
> The solution I propose is a meta field on the model that allows
> you to set natural keys there.

FWIW, we currently have attached to our models

    class MyMeta:
        identifying_field = "number"

as a means to set something like "poor man's primary key".  Thus, I
think we would benefit from such a setting.  (By the way, we did use
natural keys first -- but it was slower, didn't allow for
introspection, and resulted in uglier code.)  I could explain our
use case if asked for.

Django discourages to set explicit primary keys.  In case of MT
inheritance, it didn't even work for us (maybe we were too stupid).
There is nothing wrong with that.  But then, it would be helpful to
have this poor man's PK instead.

Tschö,
Torsten.

--