Hi Riccardo,

Thanks for the feedback. Maybe adding a link to the patch review checklist
[1] to the contributing tutorial would be sufficient. Most of the points
you've covered are valid and are covered in the rest of the contributing
docs. I'd like not to duplicate information if possible, but please do
submit a pull request with changes you feel are appropriate.

[1]
https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/dev/internals/contributing/writing-code/submitting-patches/#patch-review-checklist

- from my own experience it looks like that a pull request is required
for review. Documentation say patches in the bugtracker are fine but
have been asked to open pull request even with patches sitting in the
ticket.

Yes, pull requests are preferred, especially for any non-trivial code
changes. I still use attachments for smaller doc patches. We should likely
recommend attachments only to those who cannot submit a pull request.

- there's no mention on the ready "Patch needs improvement" bit, again from
my own
experience there has been patches in the bugtracker for years because
without that bit sets the patch is off the radar of reviewers

I've thought to address this issue by improving the UI in Trac so that it
translates the current flags to a sentence that summarizes the "next steps"
for the ticket.
https://github.com/django/code.djangoproject.com/issues/33

- suggest to run pyflake8 on the file you changed, saves a review round
trip

This is covered in the patch review checklist.

- there should be some switch that makes deprecations warning fail on
djangoci but i don't see them when running tests on my machine. That
could easily done on developers machines to save a round trip while
reviewing. Any hint please?

This is covered in the "Deprecating a Feature" guide, which is linked from
the patch review checklist.
https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/dev/internals/contributing/writing-code/submitting-patches/#deprecating-a-feature

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/f84c8724-022b-431d-9c2d-c4b0dcb501dc%40googlegroups.com.