Hi Varun,

I've just taken a look at this proposal; I've got some concerns.

 * You say you can get test coverage from 81% to 90% - that's an admirable
goal, but is there any reason to believe that it is achievable? In many
cases, the coverage is low because a feature/branch is so difficult to test
that the cost in developing test harnesses vastly exceeds the likelihood of
breakage, or because the branches that aren't covered aren't *ever* going
to be executed (i.e "you shouldn't be here" branches).

Don't get me wrong - more coverage would be better - but you're going to
need to provide evidence of what you're going to focus on to gain 9% in
test coverage. It's not just a matter of saying "I'm gonna get 9% more".

 * I am in no way convinced that shuffling deck chairs to have a
unit/integration/regression separation will be in any way helpful. Django
once had a separate regression tests directory - we *removed* that
separation specifically because it was becoming burdensome to identify
whether a test was a "core function" test or a "regression" test.

 * I'm not convinced that more options to ./runtests.py is an area where we
should be spending effort - or, to the extent that it is, we should only be
seeking to expose functionality provided by the base unittest runner. If
this means that changes are needed in unittest itself, then that's a
project to direct towards Python core - which unfortunately puts it out of
scope for Django.

 * I'm not convinced that a runner to help run all database backends at
once is ultimately that helpful - I wouldn't have considered the burden of
running three different test runs (or relying on the CI server, which does
this for you) was sufficiently onerous to warrant spending time on the
problem.

 * Regarding schedule - I've said this in other threads, and I appreciate
that this is a first cut proposal -- but I'm *deeply* sceptical of any
proposal that contains estimates of granularity > 2 weeks. The bulk of your
timeline is in a 5 week block and a 4 week block - but you haven't provided
any evidence that 5 weeks is an appropriate amount of time for the work
provided, rather than just a number that adds up nicely to 12 weeks.

Yours,
Russ Magee %-)

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/CAJxq84-HXigucbZdnisN3xwi4E96RDMr3HNWdUGFPznvaKPUxw%40mail.gmail.com.