#19441 is the ticket where it was decided that unique=True implies a
database index. The documentation says,

"Note that when ``unique`` is ``True``, you don't need to
specify`Field.db_index`,
because ``unique`` implies the creation of an index."

Unless we decide that is wrong, I think the correct condition to solve the
issue would be more like `field.db_index or field.unique and field.db_index
is not False`. We might also have to change the default keyword of Field
from False to None so we know the difference between "unspecified" and
False.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/c77a48fb-470c-47f6-94b5-cff1fdbfbe17%40googlegroups.com.