OK, so I've just gone ahead and done the initial work on this:
https://github.com/django/django/pull/4729

I'd appreciate testing by people to see how well that new sql command
works; it's fine for me in dev here against a simple project but there's
probably some edge cases. Nevertheless, it seems to prove the idea and is
also the way we can handle test database setup potentially, too.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/CAFwN1urVVW3hOkuT2vdAbm5EVv4pVs7MEvM9ejBEejSorYCrAQ%40mail.gmail.com.