Hello,

I am a big fan of PostgreSQL's excellent bulk loader COPY
<http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.4/static/sql-copy.html>. It can rapidly
load a CSV file directly into the database, an oftentimes tedious task that
I have to do frequently as part of my job.

I am not a big fan of having to write my COPY commands in raw SQL. I'd much
rather use Django's ORM.

So last week I put together an app call django-postgres-copy
<http://django-postgres-copy.californiacivicdata.org/en/latest/> that
attempts to integrate COPY into Django, modeling its design on the
excellent LayerMapping
<https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/1.8/ref/contrib/gis/layermapping/>
utility in contrib.gis, which I also use frequently.

I wrote a blog post about the approach here

http://www.californiacivicdata.org/2015/07/17/hello-django-postgres-copy/

You can find more complete technical documentation here

http://django-postgres-copy.californiacivicdata.org/en/latest/

And all of the code is up here on GitHub

https://github.com/california-civic-data-coalition/django-postgres-copy

Since Django has already begun to integrate other PostgreSQL-specific
features in contrib.postgres, I'm curious if the core developers are be
interested in adding COPY support as well.

I'm not attached to the style of my library and I'd welcome a different
approach if it got the job done. I'd be thrilled to have the opportunity to
carry the torch and do whatever refactoring and additional coding is
necessary to qualify it for a merge.

Please let me know what you think. And if I've overlooked some previous
discussion or superior third-party library in this area, please forgive me.
I searched around but was unable to find anything.

Sincerely,

Ben Welsh

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/a4e6402e-325e-4630-9b44-516be7740172%40googlegroups.com.