I asked this question on the user group and got no reply fast, so I just
wrote a derived class to do it quickly:

https://groups.google.com/d/msg/django-users/n87bFh8IYYc/MhkNmVBDAwAJ

it's a hack and not what I'd call a patch, but one user liked it and asked
that I seek it's inclusion in Django.

The justification is on that user page already, but in summary is to drive
for some presentation consistency between ModelForm and DetailView to
enable simple consistent rendering of generic forms or views in the same
manner.

I'm new to Django, wouldn't say I'm a django developer (excepting I'm
trying to build a simple website with it and learning it and doing a proof
of concept at home ;-) so I'm certainly not up for contributing code per
se, but think this serves as a demo for a simple patch that I think Django
would benefit from.

Regards,

Bernd.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/a0e2e4ad-160e-4472-96c5-370e58a0ed9d%40googlegroups.com.