Thanks for taking this on, James. I do think it would be best to defer this
to Django 1.10 rather than try to rush it into Django 1.9 at this point.
Also, there are several URL related deprecations scheduled to complete in
1.10 which should simplify things (I've started on those removals here:
https://github.com/django/django/pull/5143). Absent another interested
person, I should be able to mentor you on this during the Django 1.10
release cycle (which can start once we cut the stable/1.9.x branch after
1.9 alpha around September 21). In the meantime, if you want take a look
for some simpler tickets to tackle to get a feel for our contribution
process, I think that would be helpful.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/5c0ff7fb-28ec-41c2-bb1a-8f76caf35ddc%40googlegroups.com.