On Sep 21, 2015, at 7:10 PM, "Podrigal, Aron" <ar...@guaranteedplus.com> wrote:

> There is actually another reason to not have to specify a max_length which
> was mentioned earlier, is because most of the time you don't care about that
> and is just tedious to have to specify that when you can get it to work
> without it. Default values has always been here for that reason.

I'm afraid I must disagree that "most of the time you don't care about it."  I
certainly do.  I'm always reasonably careful to specify a max_length that
corresponds to the underlying data.

There's no "sensible" default for max_length.  It entirely depends on the data
you are storing.  Picking a backend-specific max_length means that application
writers now have no idea how much data the CharField can store:
1GB-ish-depending-on-encoding?  255?  4000 or something less depending on
Oracle's encoding?

Requiring a max_length is enforcing a good practice.
--
-- Christophe Pettus
   x...@thebuild.com

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/46F57CA5-459B-4B2D-B610-EF3FF1190256%40thebuild.com.
  • Re: Ma... Paulo Maciel
    • R... 'Tom Evans' via Django developers (Contributions to Django itself)
      • ... Christophe Pettus
        • ... Podrigal, Aron
          • ... Christophe Pettus
            • ... Podrigal, Aron