On 01/07/2016 03:03 PM, Aymeric Augustin wrote:
> As far as I understand, the CPU cost comes from generating a full set of
> model classes for each step of the migration history. That’s consistent
> with the profile sent by Florian.
>
> I usually end up throwing away the migration history and regenerating a
> new set of migrations when I get to that point. This requires truncating
> the django_migrations table manually and faking the new set of migrations.
>
> If the project doesn’t use data migrations, squashmigrations may achieve
> the same effect. Sadly real-life projects tend to have data migrations
> whose only purpose is to run once in production. They prevent full
> squashing.

FWIW, I've also done a hybrid of these two options, where I generate
fresh initial migrations rather than actually using squashmigrations
(for the same reason, to avoid problems with data migrations), but then
I still keep the old migrations around for a transition period and use
the `replaces` attribute (the same one added automatically by
`squashmigrations`) on the new initial migrations. Then later (once the
new migrations are deployed everywhere) delete the old migrations and
the `replaces` attr.

Effectively this is similar to what you're doing, it just takes
advantage of the `replaces` feature to avoid manually fiddling with the
migrations table on each deployment.

If I (or anyone else) ever gets around to it, I think
https://code.djangoproject.com/ticket/24109 could make the actual
squashmigrations command usable for real projects, by letting you just
mark certain migrations as "please ignore when squashing".

Carl

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/568EE2B2.1040501%40oddbird.net.

  • ... Tim Graham
    • ... Florian Apolloner
      • ... Peter Baumgartner
        • ... Aymeric Augustin
          • ... Andrew Godwin
          • ... Carl Meyer
            • ... Peter Baumgartner
              • ... Markus Holtermann
            • ... 'Hugo Osvaldo Barrera' via Django developers (Contributions to Django itself)
              • ... Shai Berger
                • ... charettes
                • ... Carl Meyer
                • ... Shai Berger