Currently, if I want to create a ManyToMany relationship, I'm stuck with
two options:

   - Accept the by-default configuration. This will imply the inner table
   will have two fields based on the respective PKs.
   - Create a through-model. I will be able to specify two foreign keys,
   one for each table. I will lose the ability to cal .add and .delete.

Is there a chance to let the user specify custom to_field (and say,
"from_field") in a M2M field? I think it would be a nice feature, as we
already allow them in FK and O2O fields.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/ad91bad2-83a8-4884-a47e-34dc59646b67%40googlegroups.com.