The channel layer could indeed use SECRET_KEY, since it's loaded in via a
Django codepath in both the protocol server and the worker server.

It's better done as a channel layer feature rather than in Channels/Daphne
directly, as then it requires no extra supporting code in anything else
that does ASGI (like the WSGI adapter). The layer could also have options
to turn it on only for certain channels (e.g. only http.request) - it would
be harder to make deeper encryption choices, though, as things like the
body content and headers both come through as a single message key. Maybe
let people provide a regex to match against e.g. http.request and
websocket.connect's `path` key.

It's probably something we could pay for someone to work on for the "main"
(Redis-backed) layer implementation? I could add it in too, but it's not as
high priority as some other stuff I have to get to.

Andrew

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/CAFwN1urDr0LWvgK%2BRx9maEPezoFxqyFXCzNQbHedJwwvJM9pgw%40mail.gmail.com.