I've been working on testing and writing documentation for Preston's PR:
https://github.com/django/django/pull/6498

About backwards compatibility, the current implementation which seems to be
based on Carl's proposal requires either a) 'django.forms' in
INSTALLED_APPS (so the APP_DIRS loader can find the DTL widget templates)
or b) Jinja2 to be installed so that the TemplateRenderer.default_engine()
initialization of Jinja2 doesn't fail. If these items were accepted and
acknowledged as upgrade requirements, it wasn't clear to me.

In trying to make the Django test suite pass without Jinja2 installed, I
noticed that the 'django.forms' in INSTALLED_APPS requirement is a bit
annoying because this requires any use of
@override_settings(INSTALLED_APPS=[...]) that does widget rendering to now
include 'django.forms'. <https://github.com/django/django/pull/6498>

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/378b1cbd-e2a2-4ee9-b088-29c21f9cfd61%40googlegroups.com.