Hello Sven,

> On 12 Oct 2016, at 12:21, Sven R. Kunze <srku...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Am Dienstag, 11. Oktober 2016 17:51:20 UTC+2 schrieb Aymeric Augustin:
>
> The API for displaying errors is form.errors.
>
> If the documentation implies otherwise, please accept my apologies!
>
> No problem. I now did read the documentation
> (https://docs.djangoproject.com/es/1.10/ref/forms/api/) to be 100% sure.
>
> It says: "The primary task of a Form object is to validate data. With a bound
> Form instance, call the is_valid() method to run validation and return a
> boolean designating whether the data was valid:" and furthermore "You can
> access errors without having to call is_valid() first. The form’s data will
> be validated the first time either you call is_valid() or access errors."
>
> So, the docs are actually pretty clear about what will happen (how to code
> works), but not so much about the intended usage.

The intended usage is shown here:
https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/1.10/topics/forms/#the-view. The document
goes on to describe various ways to render errors in template.

Sorry, I overreacted because I failed to imagine other use cases. I withdraw my
objections to using is_valid() in templates. While it’s (likely) not intended,
it isn’t unrealistic either.

I’m still -0 on changing is_valid to be a property because I still think it’s
less appropriate (validation can be expensive) and the benefits are more
limited than they were for is_authenticated / is_anonymous.

--
Aymeric.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/C04506DD-2176-4C29-A90A-206A644216BE%40polytechnique.org.