On Saturday, November 5, 2016 at 4:53:49 PM UTC+1, Patryk Zawadzki wrote:

> 1. Dependency resolution that turns the migration dependency graph into an
> ordered list happens every time you try to create or execute a migration.
> If you have several hundred migrations it becomes quite slow. I'm talking
> multiple minutes kind of slow. As you can imagine working with multiple
> branches or perfecting your migrations quickly becomes a tedious task.

Did the dependency resolution actually come up in benchmarks/profiles as a
bottleneck? When I optimized and benchmarked the dependency graph code, it
had no trouble ordering ~1000 randomly generated migrations with lots of
inter-app dependencies in less than a second. I'd be surprised if this had
any significant impact on the overall performance of migrations.

An easy way to test this is the `showmigrations` command, which will only
generate the graph without any model state changes or model rendering
taking place. It does some other things, but nothing that should take in
the order of minutes.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/90cd80d5-fc72-4611-b716-b6d1e5d80e43%40googlegroups.com.