On 23 Dec 2016, at 16:48, Tim Graham <timogra...@gmail.com> wrote:

> also allow bytestrings (even non-ASCII bytestrings as reported in #19980?).

There are arguments both ways.

Allowing non-ASCII bytestring means every app that needs bytes must call
force_bytes(settings.SECRET_KEY) instead of settings.SECRET_KEY.encode(), or
else it will break on non-ASCII bytestrings. This will likely cause bugs in
pluggable apps.

Disallowing non-ASCII bytestrings will require those who like them to change
their ways, even if they don’t hit any incompatibility. Some people feel
strongly that random bytestrings are the way to go. I don’t feel a great urge
to frustrate them.

So count me in the “in doubt, do nothing” camp...

--
Aymeric.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/A013B8D1-F6DE-4632-8AD0-F502F14024AB%40polytechnique.org.
  • Sho... Tim Graham
    • ... Ryan Hiebert
      • ... Tim Graham
        • ... Ryan Hiebert
    • ... Aymeric Augustin
      • ... Adam Johnson
        • ... Ryan Hiebert
          • ... Tim Graham
            • ... Aymeric Augustin
      • ... 'Andres Mejia' via Django developers (Contributions to Django itself)
        • ... Aymeric Augustin
          • ... Tim Graham
            • ... Aymeric Augustin