I don't have a lot of experience with sitemaps so at least for me, it would
be nice to see some proposed code changes to understand the idea a bit
better. From my naive point of view, it looks like you need  a custom
template to output <image:image> anyway?

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/30b3d608-161a-4172-9863-78f93bc4df04%40googlegroups.com.