August 2016: PyPy gets funding from Mozilla for Python 3.5 support
"Within the next year, we plan to use the money to pay four core PyPy
developers half-time to work on the missing features and on some of the big
performance and cpyext issues. This should speed up the progress of
catching up with Python 3.x significantly. "
https://morepypy.blogspot.com/2016/08/pypy-gets-funding-from-mozilla-for.html

According to http://pypy.org/py3donate.html, it seems that anyone who cares
can donate to the effort of porting PyPy to Python 3. Django 1.11/Python 2
will be supported until 2020 anyway.

On Tuesday, January 3, 2017 at 1:04:02 PM UTC-5, Florian Apolloner wrote:

> Mhm, just thought about the fact that this means we are also dropping
> support for PyPy and Jython -- not sure about the Jyton usage, but loosing
> PyPy sounds sad, how far along are there python 3 efforts? It looks like it
> is/was close to 3.3 according to
> https://morepypy.blogspot.co.at/2016/08/pypy-gets-funding-from-mozilla-for.html
>
> Cheers,
> Florian
>
> On Tuesday, December 27, 2016 at 11:03:22 PM UTC+1, Tim Graham wrote:
>>
>> Yes, Django 1.11 is the last version to support Python 2.7. This is
>> documented in the 1.11 release notes, in
>> https://www.djangoproject.com/download/#supported-versions, and
>> elsewhere.
>>
>> On Tuesday, December 27, 2016 at 4:37:06 PM UTC-5, MMeent wrote:
>>>
>>> I won't mind dropping support for Python versions that are not supported
>>> up to the end of the support period of the next LTS (2.2 in this case). If
>>> you want to use long-term stability and/or support for current Python
>>> versions, you should use the current django LTS version, which will be
>>> 1.11. I am perfectly fine with django dropping support for a python version
>>> that won't be supported for over 1 1/2 years of that (major) versions
>>> support cycle.
>>>
>>> Noting that python 2.x also has an EOL in 2020, this one being half a
>>> year earlier (March 16th vs September 13th), will django 2.0 drop
>>> python 2.7 support, or will the 2.x series continue support for 2.7? I cant
>>> really find definite docs on that.
>>> (https://www.djangoproject.com/weblog/2015/jun/25/roadmap/ talks about
>>> it but is not completely clear)
>>>
>>> If django drops 2.7 for django 2.x, a lot of code will probably be
>>> reworked, and seeing the 3.6 features I would love to see those available
>>> directly while removing/refactoring the compat-layer. e.g. f-strings
>>> instead of "{}".format or %-formatting, as it is less prone to random
>>> bugs like https://code.djangoproject.com/ticket/6343 .
>>>

>>> -Matthias

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/891a41d5-e14b-420f-a40e-21e46a7c9750%40googlegroups.com.
  • Django... Tim Graham
    • R... Florian Apolloner
      • ... Tim Graham
        • ... Michael Manfre
          • ... Tim Graham
      • ... Matthias welp
        • ... Tim Graham
          • ... Florian Apolloner
            • ... Tim Graham
              • ... Asif Saifuddin
                • ... Florian Apolloner
                • ... 'Tom Evans' via Django developers (Contributions to Django itself)
                • ... Tim Graham
                • ... Tim Graham
                • ... James Bennett
                • ... Daniel Moisset