Slightly off-topic, this presents a really nice case for switching to
Argon2 via argon2_cffi (supported in Django 1.10+). Its super fast (C-lib)
and resistant to GPU/ASIC brute-forcing. So, where as an attacker's 8-GPU
hashing machine would probably have something on the order of 24,000X more
hashing capability for SHA256 than a typical Django server, I estimate that
the same hardware (8 GPUs) would only have about 20-30X more hashing
capability than a typical server. (Note, the anecdotal evidence across the
internet supporting this is pretty thin).

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/7a1b926b-d75c-4f45-b3be-d5d8b7b8a7e5%40googlegroups.com.