Hello Raphael,

Thanks for your detailed explanation! You clearly expressed why it's safe to
optimize through RemoveField operations and helped me lift any doubt about
what was a wrong assumption[1].

I gave your two passes optimization strategy a try and I believe I managed
implement it correctly[2].

The plan is to modify the optimization algorithm to start by trying to
perform
a "right" (as right of the migration in between) reduction and attempt a
"left"
one if a subsequent operation can be reduced with. The "left" reduction will
only be performed if all the operations in between can optimize through
(their
reduce() method returns True) the operation we're trying to perform a
reduction
with.

Cheers,
Simon