Presumably you mean PasswordResetTokenGenerator when you write
PasswordResetToken.

Seems like a fairly small feature, but my security sense is tingling when
you say you're putting the secret key of one application in a variable for
another.

Normally in a situation where multiple applications need to share login
data, I would consider having a centralized application for identity
management.

Also in your current structure, you don't necessarily need to replace
_make_token_with_timestamp (which is prone to break if Django changes that
code) - you could (somewhat hackily) wrap
with override_settings(SECRET_KEY=other_key) around your call to
PasswordResetTokenGenerator.make_token.

On 17 March 2017 at 20:54, jann.haber via Django developers (Contributions
to Django itself) <django-developers@googlegroups.com> wrote:

> Hi everybody,
>
> I have two sites in my project. One is for internal use to add members of
> our club to our database, one is a self-service page for our members.
> On registration of a member using our internal site, I want to send a
> password reset link to the member for easy registration to our self-service
> page.
> Since the two sites run on different servers and different SECRET_KEYs, I
> need to specify a different secret for the token generated with our
> internal site to work on the self-service page.
> I managed to do so by overwriting the method _make_token_with_timestamp
> of PasswordResetToken, however, I think this is quite an ugly solution.
>
> How would you think about the secret being an attribute of the
> PasswordResetToken class, which is then passed to salted_hmac? The default
> could be settings.SECRET_KEY for backwards compatibility.
>
> I have so far not contributed to django, but I would like to start and I
> believe, this small change might be a good start. If you agree, I could
> open a ticket in trac.
>
> Best Regards,
> Jann

> msgid/django-developers/ca9e1cde-002d-491b-899a-
> 02bfd50fbed6%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/ca9e1cde-002d-491b-899a-02bfd50fbed6%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
> .

Adam