Hi everyone!

I think this is probably my first post here! Anyway... I was recently
working on a
django project where I was asked to change the admin theme (just the
colors).

I did so using CSS custom properties (see [1]) so that I would have all the
colors[2] set
in one file.

I'd like to start adopting CSS custom properties in the django admin.
It shouldn't take too much time, ideally what I'd like to do is this:

1. find all the colors used in the admin
2. create a `variables/colors.css` file where we put all the colors used in
the admin
3. add another color/background-color (or any CSS rule) where we use the
variable defined
  in the previous file, so that old browsers still use the default color,
but new ones use the
  color set from the variable.

That should mostly be it, a user can override the variables by adding
another CSS file, or
by creating a new static file in `admin/css/variables/colors.css`

The only issues I can see are:

1. there won't be an easy way to override colors for old browsers (same as
now)
2. one additional http request
3. if we ever change (or add/delete) one color we need to remember to
update the variable file
    and the CSS

Do you any feedback on this? I might start a PR during this weekend or the
next one :)

[1] https://www.smashingmagazine.com/2017/04/start-using-
css-custom-properties/
[2] but this is not limited to colors, can be used for fonts, margins, etc

--
Patrick Guido Arminio

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/CAOUxZcv836UE3LL26JiZnrd7Mfes8_Yf2Cvxbr%2BOe9f2sTyTdg%40mail.gmail.com.