Hi John,

It's a bit unfortunate that I can't find any trace of your changes. They
are probably on your local machine, so I can't see any of the changes you
have made or the errors they cause.

Do you believe the problems you are running into come from a bug in the
path() implementation, not yet fully understanding it, or something else?

Also, I think the changes to all the other tests URLs is a "nice to have"
but not necessarily a merge-blocker. In fact, letting the old syntax remain
tested is still important.

Some more remarks inline.

Regards,
Sjoerd Job

On Tuesday, August 1, 2017 at 5:40:58 PM UTC+2, John Griebel wrote:

> Hi Sjoerd, Emil (and everyone else),
> I wanted to give a quick update here so you all have some visibility into
> the progress being made. I have begun by working on the "Update the tests
> throughout, updating to the new style wherever possible." in Sjoerd's check
> list just to get my feet wet and familiarize myself with the code base a
> little more, how path() works, etc.
>
> At this point I've converted the URL configs for all test packages with
> the following exceptions:
> 1.) auth_tests - About 16 tests are still failing, all related to
> password-reset.

It would be great to have some info on the failure: an exception, error, ?

> 2.) check_framework - path() makes some URLs configurations valid that are
> not valid with url() such as including '$' in an include, etc. For the time
> being, I have elected not to convert the URLs that would be valid with
> path() but not url(). I am sure this merits some discussion. If it's
> already been discussed and I missed it, just let me know.

In the path() syntax, a dollar sign is interpreted as matching a literal
dollar sign, not as in "end of string".

> 3.) generic_views - 16 tests are failing, all related to date tests. I
> suspect the majority of problems here will be fixed by getting urls.py
> exactly correct. I do think there may have to be a small change to the
> _date_from_string method in /generic/dates.py, however.

would love to see the test failures.

> 4.) i18n - I haven't dealt much with i18n in the past so I've left this
> one for a bit later.
>
> 5.) messages_test - Only one failure that I need to figure out.

Kindly share with us.

> 6.) urlpatterns_reverse - Should these be left as is, and similar tests
> for path() be created since url() will not be deprecated immediately?

in urlpatterns_reverse I have left most testing as-is, because I think it
is important still for re_path (url) to be validated. Should probably be
left untouched.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/27229da2-7535-4b43-bb33-7056b341071e%40googlegroups.com.