So, I've taken a different approach, following Markus' idea, and added "app_label" to Permission.

I probably still need to add a check to ensure you don't set app_label _and_ content_type, but that can wait for now.

You can now define new app-level permissions on the app's AppConfig.permissions [optional].

I've also implemented a "create_app_permissions" function which will ... do just that. Call it whenever you like :)

Basic tests are working, as well as added ones.

No documentation or changelog as yet...

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/0314c0c1-0ebc-6d6b-a7ff-47a428e926b6%40tinbrain.net.