Hi folks,

I'm here again trying to up to date the django-firebird backend.
The last stable version was for django 1.8 LTS, that came to end of life,
so I want to update to 1.11 LTS first  and then to 2.0.

Having said that, one of unresolved things is about  adding a non-nullable
field to a populated table, in this case Firebird seems to work differently
than others sql engines.
If I have to update data over a recently added field (actually django does
this adding a default value and removing this afterward), I need commit the
alter table command first then, populate the new field with the provide
default value. [1]
Firebird doesn't allow updates/inserts to use objects created in the same
transaction (in this case the column) because DDL is actually only really
executed/completed at transaction commit.

Then, What do you think is the best approach to achieve this?
Is necessary to rewrite the context maneger interface of
BaseDatabaseSchemaEditor?
Maybe a new hook to run command after the metadata update finish?

Regards.

[1] Here there's a discussion about this
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/firebird-support/conversations/topics/130739

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/4752f38a-d821-4a17-90a3-bb6d2621cc72%40googlegroups.com.