On Sat, 25 Aug 2018 11:56:02 -0400
Michael Manfre <mman...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Anyone who uses it after reading the warning would likely still use
> it if it were in another package. A separate package is another "Are
> you sure?" step that they would likely ignore.

I disagree -- a separate package means that the idea of pickling the
session object into a cookie is removed from the Django documentation,
making people much less likely to stumble upon it and much more likely
to use safer serializations in relevant use-cases. It's not just an
"Are you sure?" -- they'd have to actively look for it.

+1 for footgun removal,

        Shai.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/20180826000928.010da0fb.shai%40platonix.com.