On Mon, May 13, 2019 at 4:31 AM Tobias Kunze <r...@rixx.de> wrote:

> Hi Andrew (and everybody following the discussion, of course),
>
> First off, thank you for your work here. DEP9 is an excellent technical
> document, and it was as easy and pleasant to read as a document of this
> scope and depth can be.
>
> Especially the Motivation section was very insightful – it might be
> worth moving it up a bit, as I found myself dropping about a third of my
> notes and questions from the first half of the DEP after reaching the
> motivation section.
> Also, discussing the Why first and the How later is a bit better
> argumentatively – if I just spent half an hour reading about the How,
> I'll start to see the Why as a given, so it's harder to reason about
> alternatives upon reaching the motivation section. Maybe that's just me,
> though.

The ordering that's there is defined by the DEP template, alas - though
maybe that's just because of historical reasons. I agree it might be better
to swap them.

> The Sequencing section is equally helpful to get a feeling for the
> implementation work. It might be worth including a note on additional
> future DEPs there, as those are only mentioned in the high level summary
> (and in the templating section, I think).

I've added another paragraph in there to flesh it out a bit.

> I have a couple of questions and comments – none of which are meant to
> criticise the direction of the DEP or arguments. It's just niggles,
> really. I also left some comments on the PR that concern only some
> phrasing.
>
> The DEP doesn't really include a discussion of potential downsides. Even
> if that's not in scope of a DEP, I'd like to ask this here:
>
> - Is there a potential negative impact for Django users who just
>   continue to use Django? The only mention of this says "Running code in
>   threads is likely not going to increase performance - the overhead
>   added will probably decrease it very slightly in the case where you're
>   just running normal, linear code". Do you have any details on that? I
>   would have expected some (even just a sentence or two) discussion of
>   potential downsides in the Rationale section next to the alternatives.
> - Is there a potential negative impact on Django if work on this
>   proposal takes a long time/is abandoned?

These are both good questions - I have added in explainers about them to
the "Motivation" section. (In short: Yes, but we'll keep it to a small
impact; No, as long as we're good about code committing and being
sustainable).

> Less general remarks:
>
> > Every single feature that is converted to be async internally will also
> present
> > a synchronous interface that is backwards-compatible with the API as it
> stands
> > today (in 2.2), at least for the normal deprecation period.
>
> As it stands, this will sound a lot like "we'll deprecate lots of
> synchronous interfaces soon" to people who are afraid of exactly that.
> It's probably worth to clarify this here, or to choose different
> phrasing, unless that's what you're planning to do.

Good point, I've made this a lot clearer.

> > This general overview works on nearly all features on Django that need
> to be
> > async, with the exceptions mostly being places where the Python language
> itself
> > does not provide async equivalents to features we already use.
>
> Can you give examples for this? They don't need to be in the draft, I
> think, I'd just like to understand this part better.

The classic one is attribute access - Django uses "
model_instance.related_field.name" to do work in the background. Attribute
access can't be async, though, so we can no longer call the database.

It also exists for length - doing "len(queryset)" does not pass down an
async context, so you can't do blocking work down there in a subthread. The
pattern continues for most things that Python makes objects supply
__special__ methods for; unless serious work is done to Python as an async
language, these will likely stay the same indefinitely.

> > Asynchronous views will continue to be wrapped in an ``atomic()`` block
> by
> > default - while this reduces immediate performance gains, as it will
> lock all
> > ORM queries to a single subthread (see "The ORM" below), it is what our
> users
> > will expect and much safer. If they want to run ORM queries
> concurrently, they
> > will have to explicitly opt out of having the transaction around the
> view using
> > the existing ``non_atomic_requests`` mechanism, though we will need to
> improve
> > the documentation around it.
>
> By default, Django's views are not wrapped in ``atomic()`` blocks. This
> is only the case if ``ATOMIC_REQUESTS`` is ``True``, which it isn't by
> default. Not sure if an off-by-default feature is worth an entire
> paragraph here, but in any case, please make it clear that not every
> async view will be wrapped in an ``atomic()`` block (unless I'm mistaken
> and they will be?).

I have updated this. I have kept the paragraph about it because I think
it's an important illustrative point about the whole problem.

> > In some ways, this
> > will end up looking more like Django 1.0 era middleware again from an
> internal
> > perspective.
>
> It might be worth to make it clear that the middleware interface doesn't
> change on the user-facing side, though.

Done!

> > Whenever a
> > ``new_connections()`` block is entered, the transactions do not persist
> inside,
> > but transactions can be made inside the ``new_connections()`` block and
> run
> > against those connections.
>
> I think this was the most complicated sentence in the entire document.
> It took me several tries to parse it in a way that could be correct.
> Could you try to clarify? I think the missing reference for the "the
> transactions" and "those connections" probably led to my confusion.

I reworked this quite a bit to be a lot clearer about transactions and a
point about isolation levels that I think is important to bring up.

> > This means that, at some point, the ``valid`` methods and ``save``, at
> > minimum, need to be able to be called in an async fashion.
>
> The ``valid`` methods? Did you mean the ``clean`` (and ``clean_*``)
> methods, or am I missing something?

I did mean that. It has been a bit too long since I wrote form code!

> > While Python is not a perfect asynchronous language, and there are some
> flaws
> > in the core design of ``asyncio``,
>
> This leads me to a question I haven't really seen discussed so far: How
> stable is the asyncio API by now? In the 3.x releases so far, asyncio
> API has shifted quite a bit. I looked through the 3.8 release notes, but
> didn't see any major changes (except maybe task names). This is mostly
> relevant to figure out how much work we'll have with the support of
> future Python version, and/or keeping backwards compatibility.

It is mostly-stable, and everyone I talk to (myself included) is slightly
unsatisfied with it but generally thinks it does the job, which makes me
believe it's probably an alright API.

It's certainly more of a moving target than Python itself is, though. If
Django adopts async in a big way and becomes a large user of asyncio, we
may have a knockback effect on its development, for better or worse.

> You're mentioning `asgiref` a lot – do you expect it to become a
> dependency of Django? Do you expect any other new dependencies to be
> introduced?

I do expect it to, and in fact the ASGI patch already does this, and causes
`async_timeout` to be required too (as asgiref needs this). I expect no
other dependencies. I consider `asgiref` acceptable as it is a Django
project, though I have considered just copying over ("vendoring") the code
we need from async_timeout to remove that extra dependency.

> Thank you again for your work (and making it through this “light reading”)

And thank you for your feedback and your GIF :)

Andrew

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/CAFwN1upxvhSjxRMbCvWFmqA0DDjojGVyiCO235PmnagL%2BZ%2BEoA%40mail.gmail.com.