was this rejected?
my use case is: I have a single django program, which I run in multiple
instances, each on a different port and connecting to a different
database.  for each instance, I have a separate `config_INSTANCE.py` file.
the database settings fit in the `config` file, but I have to put the port
in a batch file, or something else, outside the config file.  it feels as
if I were doing something which isn't allowed...
I don't need to run the program on a single different port, I need
different config files each stating a different port.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/02fd8076-a850-4455-b2ae-f065a2d8e98f%40googlegroups.com.