Hi Carlton, hi Sage,
I just tested this implementation against my JSONField form editor library,
namely django-entangled <https://github.com/jrief/django-entangled>, using
SQLIte.
As you can see from the testing matrix
<https://travis-ci.org/jrief/django-entangled>, everything works fine using
the well known jsonfield <https://pypi.org/project/jsonfield/> and
jsonfield2 <https://pypi.org/project/jsonfield2/>, which until Django-3 are
the only viable options currently available for SQLite.

However, after switching to the new implementation using the built-in
JSONField, one of my units tests does not pass
<https://travis-ci.org/jrief/django-entangled/jobs/646643632>. After
examining this locally, I discovered, that the form
reports product_form._errors: {'properties': ['Value must be valid JSON.']}
The location where this exception is raised, is inside the JSONField's
validate()
<https://github.com/laymonage/django/blob/656ec0b97504c8df47c1c570c794de97be8fc338/django/db/models/fields/json.py#L75>
 method.
And the reason it is raised
is because json.dumps(value, cls=self.encoder) can not reparse a valid
dictionary containing for instance a Python Decimal value.
Why should a valid Python dictionary be json.dumps(value, cls=self.encoder)
 anyway?

– Jacob