> I'm basing it on the fact that Carlton approved this PR for the style
guide: https://github.com/django/django/pull/12350

No. I don't think we should merge that change. (It's "approved" qua itself
before reviewing, and dependent on the main PR.)

To be clear. I think the default implicit chaining should be used unless
there's specific reason not to.

(In hindsight I should have come to this conclusion before agreeing to the
original smaller cleanup.)

C.