Le mercredi 22 avril 2020 17:22:02 UTC+2, Carlton Gibson a écrit :

> *Not sure* how much of this we need to pull into Django itself?
> compressor, say, does the whole combine and compress thing well. If we pull
> that in are we going to do the same for image optimization? Or pull in
> Whitenoise? Or...? For a user just with contib.staticfiles, what's the very
> next thing we could do that would make life easier? (i.e. is "I can't run
> webpack" top of their list?) — What can we do better in core vs a
> third-party app? — Is that just awareness, which is not a nothing?
> Note the "not sure" — I think about this a lot, it's a big issue, but I
> don't have a single answer: I've got what I do, and that works for me, but
> I see lots of people doing different with success.

I fully understand that it's not necessarily the role of Django to provide
a full backed solution to management of assets, which is indeed changing
quickly in some aspects.
However, I think that the problem now is that Django isn't aware of global
project or app assets (they are just lines in templates), which means that
third-party packages must provide their own different implementation of
asset "objects". It does also mean that Django is helpless with regards to
any management of static assets, typically in a case like subresource
integrity.

My opinion is still the same, that we should add basic blocks of asset
objects in Django core, giving ability to Django to offer basic services
that are useful for most projects, while letting third party apps to build
upon those "blocks" to give specific functionalities that need a quicker
development pace than Django itself.

Claude