That's good, but unfortunately BASE_DIR is only a "pseudo setting." It's
something in the startproject template that's useful for building file
paths but nothing inside Django actually relies on it or checks that it's
set. Perhaps we should consider "promoting" it to a real setting though, to
make this easier. Still, that might be naive for projects that bundle their
dependencies in some way :/

(Slightly tangential - my post on BASE_DIR and its move to pathlib in 3.1:
https://adamj.eu/tech/2020/03/16/use-pathlib-in-your-django-project/ )

--
Adam