Hi All,

Are we ok getting rid of url()?

Yesterday url() was officially slated for removal in [ticket #31534], and I
know it was discussed and agreed upon back in [2017], even in a DEP, but I
feel like the amount of work it would take to maintain the [shim] is near
zero, and the total amount of programmer hours that will need to happen
because of this change is a lot more that than. I realize it's "just" a
project-wide find/replace from url() -> re_path(), across my ~20 projects,
but it still seems totally useless to me. Don't we want to make upgrading
django as easy as possible? Is getting rid of url() really worth it?

Back in 2017, the reasoning was:
"Given that it is currently used in 100% of Django projects, the smooth
path for users would be to not deprecate django.conf.urls.url immediately,
but to mark it as deprecated in version 3.0 (after 2.2 LTS) and remove it
in 4.0 (after 3.2 LTS). Hopefully many projects will migrate to
django.urls.path (the carrot) before being forced to migrate to
django.urls.re_path (the stick)."

I haven't migrated yet, and I suppose I still have about ~3 more years to
do it if I want to stay up to date, but that's a question of when, not if.

Again, we _could_ [deprecate without removing] if we want.

To be clear, I think the new path() was a really good improvement for
django, and we should encourage using re_path() instead of url(), I just
think we should maintain url() backwards-compatibility even longer, if not
indefinitely, but maybe that's just me.

Thanks,
Collin

[ticket