I'm not an expert or even an amateur at the ORM, but here are my thoughts
on the matter:
1. Does it carry over well across the four databases?
2. Is it necessary to include it as part of core versus a third-party app?
3. What specific use case will benefit from adopting this idea?

I ask the second question because it seems from your gist that you don't
need your proposal to be part of core for it to work. It seems it would
work completely well and flourish even as a third-party app given how
you're subclassing the API and expanding on its usage. Contrast this with
django-pytest for example that can have a harder problem running pytest on
Django due to how the test runner is currently built (namely that setup
assumes a subclass of the Django test runner).

Regards,
Ahmad