I've pushed a proof of concept here:
https://github.com/django/django/pull/13186

I decided to do a bit more than I initially intended. It seems like the
headers can be stored as a public interface and single source of truth now,
rather than just adding an extra public property based on it, by using a
slightly modified CaseInsensitiveMapping.

Perhaps I'm missing some reason - and if there is one, let me know - that
this shouldn't be a public, documented interface, but I'm not sure what
that is.

If this all seems good, I'll write up docs and tests (all current tests
seem to be passing). I'm wondering though, if we should prefer this
interface over the old one, as it's a bit more explicit in my view. I'd be
happy to go through the docs and change the examples to using the headers
attribute directly. I don't see a reason to deprecate it at all just now
(though perhaps in _my_ ideal world that would happen at some point), but
I'm not sure if it's worth keeping the current interface in the
documentation at all?

One further small addition, I think it would be good to be able to pass
headers into the HttpResponse object, so rather than doing:

    response = HttpResponse()
    response['foo'] = 'bar'
    return response

You could instead return HttpResponse(headers={'foo': 'bar'})

Perhaps that's better in a separate ticket / PR, but it seems like a
minimal amount of effort to add it at the same time.

Cheers,
Tom