I believe the behaviour you're seeing is due to the fact that the admin
view first has to save the instance of the model being edited, and only
then can it save the related objects and relationships. So it is a two-step
thing:
https://github.com/django/django/blob/84609b3205905097d7d3038d32e6101f012c0619/django/contrib/admin/options.py#L1584-L1585

Not sure if it is a bug, though. Perhaps it can be documented (if it
isn't). Something like "If you are overriding MyModel.save (or using
post_save signal?), be aware that the admin <does what it does>..."?