I often hear Ubuntu thrown around during these discussions, and it is my
distro of choice for personal projects. But like many of us, I work at a
RedHat / CentOS shop, and trying to maintain a current Python version is a
much more difficult proposition. Unfortunately, IUS Community has stopped
providing yum-installable versions of Python in an attempt to get EPEL to
be more up to date, but that hasn't happened. To get a version of Python
greater than 3.6 on RedHat / CentOS, AFAIK, you currently must build from
source with altinstall.

I agree with Andrew's statement that we should consider each version. I can
see dropping Python 3.5 support - it would allow us to use a feature like
f-strings, which improves readability and speed throughout the codebase,
and is ubiquitous in Python. But what does dropping Python 3.6 support
really achieve? Do we need data classes?

I realize there is a need to move forward, especially for wonderful things
like better async support. I just ask that we also consider those of us
using Django in corporate or academic settings where the pace of upgrading
Python is a bit more glacial.