On Thursday, January 7, 2021 at 2:16:57 PM UTC+1 carlton...@gmail.com wrote:

> 1. Add the catch-all view to admin to stop the unauthenticated probing, as
> per the Security Teams initial idea, but not the AdminSite.append_slash
> option.
> 2. Don't even add the catch-all, and close the ticket as wontfix.

I think the catch-all view is certainly a worthwhile addition, it is a low
hanging fruit that makes fast probing if auth.user is installed impossible.

* It SEEMS to me that the catch-all view does serve it's purpose as as the
> AdminSite.admin_view decorator redirects all non-staff requests equally to
> login (whether they exist or not, because the catch-all view exists.) This
> is prior to any per-view timing variation. (I think ๐Ÿ™‚)

Technically you could already mount a timing attack because url resolving
is not constant time, the first matching view wins :รพ

Cheers,
Florian