On Tuesday, January 26, 2021 at 5:26:02 PM UTC+1 Adam Johnson wrote:

> Not that I am completely convinced that the following is a good idea; but
>> what about:
>
> QuerySet.objects.update(name="Rob").values("id", "name")
>>

> That's not possible since update() directly performs the update - it's not
> lazy in any way. It could be done in the other order like
> `QuerySet.objects.values("id", "name").update(name="Rob")` but I don't see
> the necessity to define "returning" fields in a chainable manner.

Ha, not sure what I was thinking. The sentence below I noted that update()
would return something but I didn't think that this would break chaining.
My bad.

I looked further around and `get_or_create` has the nice workaround of
being able to use `defaults__exact` if it clashes with the `defaults`
keyword. Sadly we do not have that option here. Truth to be told I do not
think that many people have fields called returning