Hi,

I'm Jordi, long time user of the Django framework, and a first time poster
to this mailing list after dabbling a bit into the Django implementation
for a specific problem in my project.

I found out that the support for GDAL virtual filesystems in Django is
limited to  `/vsimem/` forced via a constant in
`django.contrib.gis.gdal.raster.source`

VSI_FILESYSTEM_BASE_PATH = '/vsimem/'

The constant is both used to check if the input string is a virtual
filesystem raster and to properly create a vsi path if the user sends bytes.

GDAL itself supports more types of virtual filesystems. /vsis3 is the one
of interest to me in particular, so I monkey patched my local Django to
just skip that check and accept any /vsi* string inputs with no apparent
error.
I cloned the latest main and ran the test suite just in case, but the
gis_tests don't run by default.

So, I was wondering, is there any reason why django.*.GDALRaster is limited
to vsimem? And how should I properly enable the `gis_tests` to confirm
everything works as expected?

Salut!