If you make signals autoload, you obscure what is happening. In the case of
models and apps, they are so essential and tightly coupled to the framework
itself that we can eschew the boilerplate for linking them together. The
developer experience is almost universally better as a result. I don't
believe the same is true for signals. Signals are not a feature core to the
framework. I also suggest we avoiding debating their merits here though,
that's a separate issue.

Wondering what's going on for hours is unfortunately an inevitable part of
programming sometimes, and this is one of those times. If signals autoload,
your experience will be better but you obscure what is really happening but
everybody else working on a new Django project using them will have the
same unfortunate experience of scouring the code to discover why SQL
queries are being generated out of seemingly thin air in unrelated modules.
Autoloading them will naturally raise coupling with the models as a whole,
and I'm afraid of a future where new core Django code is pushed out with
the expectation that signals are present.

There will always be use cases the defaults don't cover,  such as yours
unfortunately. I hope you see my point of view.