Hi all.

There's a PR to add examples using `<input type=date ...>` for
`forms.DateInput`.
https://github.com/django/django/pull/14905

Support for HTML5 input types was added a long time back now in #16630
<https://code.djangoproject.com/ticket/16630>.
Back then there were various issues with localisation when **not** using
type=text.
See https://code.djangoproject.com/ticket/16630#comment:11 and following
discussion.
The original mailing list thread is here
<https://groups.google.com/g/django-developers/c/DENf3jq1F_w/m/LJvTMpbwoVQJ>
.

The goal is to say something succinct but accurate that covers both sides
of "Why the default is type=text" and "What you need to consider using
type=date".

Can we solicit some input (🥁) on what issues folks hit? — specifically for
DateInput the concern was the required date format (I think).

It may well be that things have changed since 2012? (If so we might revisit
#21470 <https://code.djangoproject.com/ticket/21470>.)

Thanks.
Carlton