Strong -1 on overriding user intent on capitalisation, especially for email
addresses as the RFC stipulates that the local part of an email address is case
sensitive, this is just rarely practiced. There are much better solutions out
there (CI[Text|Char]FIeld in Postgres, etc) that enforce case-insensitivity
purely for comparison operations which is where you really want it, but without
overriding user intent wrt what case the user wants to use in their email or
username.

Django could maybe do with easing the process of implementation for
case-insensitive fields outside of Postgres. I’m not familiar enough with the
other RDBMSs to know how workable that is. But the answer is certainly not
discarding user intent.

Kye