On Tue, 5 Apr 2022, at 09:26, Dan Swain wrote:
> The current Django LOGGING setup requires a string for the "level".  This is
> not intuitive since the Python logging module defines logging.DEBUG,
> logging.INFO, etc.  I think one should be able to configure the logging level
> using {  'level': logging.DEBUG  } rather than being required to use  {
> 'level': 'DEBUG'  }.

It's worth noting that Django, by default, uses python's own
`logging.config.dictConfig` to process the LOGGING config object -
https://docs.python.org/3/library/logging.config.html#logging.config.dictConfig

Since Python 3.2 `setLevel` has supported being passed a string of the name of
the level:
https://docs.python.org/3/library/logging.html#logging.Logger.setLevel

So the feature you're referring to is one from Python's stdlib.

Note: there is nothing to stop you from using `logging.DEBUG` if you prefer.

--
Curtis