Fair enough. To me, the `get_or_none` behavior with multiple results would
still be to raise an exception (so it is just like `get` in that sense).
And that’s the reason I personally don’t just see it as a shortcut for
`filter().first()` — I have (as I’m sure others have) made the mistake
before of *thinking* that I was using a unique query when that wasn’t
necessarily true, so the multiple results exception has caught mistakes at
runtime. I’d rather have that exception than use `filter().first()` and
potentially show the wrong object to the wrong user, for example, and not
figure out that I have a uniqueness/db problem. I like the fact that `get`
raises those exceptions, I just think that try/except DoesNotExist/None is
such a common behavior that a shortcut for *that* would actually be useful.

Dave
On Sunday, July 10, 2022 at 3:24:32 AM UTC-5 Adam Johnson wrote:

> I'm also against adding get_or_none(), for the same reasons. Adding a
> method to shortcut something that can already be done doesn't seem worth it
> to me.
>
> On Sat, Jul 9, 2022 at 1:56 PM Mariusz Felisiak <felisiak...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> I'm against it because it's already easily achievable and it's debatable
>> how it should behave with many results. IMO any new method would be
>> confusing and in the case of unique filtering `get_or_none(unique_filters)`
>> would be an alias for `.filter(unique_filters).first()`. To me, this is
>> duplication of an API.
>>
>> There are several -0 in the previous thread (Shai, Florian) and you can
>> count -1 from me.
>>
>> Best,
>> Mariusz
>>
>> --
>> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/aeb9be96-ec03-48f9-ae97-2859b62a1df6n%40googlegroups.com
>>
>> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/aeb9be96-ec03-48f9-ae97-2859b62a1df6n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
>> .

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/dbee041d-4f80-4e61-bf0a-1d6f4e2e22e6n%40googlegroups.com.
  • Re:... Dave Gaeddert
    • ... Jörg Breitbart
      • ... Danilov Maxim
      • ... Jörg Breitbart
        • ... Dave Gaeddert
          • ... Dave Gaeddert
          • ... Mariusz Felisiak
          • ... Dave Gaeddert
          • ... Mariusz Felisiak
          • ... 'Adam Johnson' via Django developers (Contributions to Django itself)
          • ... Dave Gaeddert
          • ... Matthias Kestenholz
          • ... Dave Gaeddert
          • ... James Bennett